Orthodontics is a branch of specialty dental services that focuses on correcting teeth and jaws that are not properly positioned. Fixing improperly placed teeth is not simply a matter of looks but can also help you or your child avoid various potential dental problems. Our orthodontic services at Lovett Dental Corpus Christi exist to provide each patient with a better, healthier smile.
How Do I Know if I Need Orthodontics?
Only your dentist or orthodontist can truly assess whether you or your child require orthodontic treatment. However, a consultation, including X-rays and a full dental exam, will help determine if orthodontics is right for you. Still, most children will benefit from visiting an orthodontist at our pediatric dentistry if they have any of the following oral issues:
- Spacing: Gaps or spaces between teeth
- Crowding: Teeth are too large for the available jaw space and can push one another out of alignment
- Overbite: Upper teeth lie too far forward
- Underbite: Lower teeth lie too far forward
- Open bite: Space exists between upper and lower front teeth when biting down
- Misplaced midline: The midline of upper front teeth does not align with the midline of lower front teeth
What Does an Orthodontist Do?
Orthodontists fix dental issues to give patients a healthy smile and help them look and feel better. Unfortunately, the most common things many people associate with orthodontics are braces. And while it’s true that dental braces are one of the more common corrective devices used by orthodontists, they do a lot more than simply putting braces on patients. Some of the most common corrective tools used by orthodontists include:
- Clear (ceramic) braces: With less visibility than traditional metal braces, teens and young adults prefer clear braces for cosmetic reasons.
- Traditional braces: These dental braces include several elements (brackets, archwire, ligature ties) that work slowly to move teeth into place. Traditional braces can be used as part of a treatment plan for most of the issues mentioned above.
- Clear aligner trays: One of the most advanced and effective tools for fixing various teeth-straightening conditions. Clear aligner trays are comfortable and convenient.
Who Needs to Visit an Orthodontist?
Anyone who has any of the issues outlined above should visit an orthodontist for a consultation and benefit from further orthodontic treatment. Children should make their first visit to an orthodontist around 7 or 6 months of their first adult tooth coming in. Further visits are recommended as children’s teeth continue to come in and develop.
But while orthodontics is generally thought of as a branch of dentistry for children, there is no age limit on who can or should visit an orthodontist. Teens and adults of all ages may have improperly placed teeth or other issues that dental services can correct. To determine if you or your child needs orthodontic treatment, the first step is to contact Lovett Dental Corpus Christi to schedule a consultation.
What Is Involved in an Orthodontic Consultation?
A consultation is your initial visit with an orthodontist, in which they will conduct an examination and present you with some potential options. At Lovett Dental Corpus Christi, we offer a free orthodontic consultation, which includes the following:
- A thorough oral exam, including X-rays, to determine if further orthodontic treatment is needed.
- Creation of a customized treatment plan specific to your needs.
- An overview of insurance options and payment plans to make treatment affordable.
Our examination can let you or your family know exactly what sort of orthodontic treatment would work best for your needs. For young people (children and adolescents), orthodontic treatment can make sure that teeth come in and adjust and are in the exact right position. This reduces the risk of future alignment and jaw issues. For young adults and adults, orthodontics is a way to fix longstanding alignment issues and get the smile one has always desired.
Schedule Your Consultation Today
If you have any further questions about orthodontics or our other services at Lovett Dental Corpus Christi, please feel free to reach out today. Orthodontics is just one of the specialty dental services we offer. Some of our other options include:
- Oral surgery
- Impacted teeth
- Sedation dentistry
- Tooth extraction
- Ridge augmentation
- Teeth grinding
Contact us at 361-986-1117 to schedule your consultation or learn more about orthodontic services. Our team is always happy to answer any questions you may have.