A dental exam is an opportunity for a dental provider to determine if the oral cavity is healthy. During dental exams, our team looks at the teeth, gums, jawbone, and all other structures in the mouth to determine if they need any help and what steps can be taken to minimize decay and damage. At Lovett Dental Corpus Christi, we offer a range of general dental treatment options to help improve smiles. Don’t put off that routine dental exam – come in to see our friendly team today.
The Routine Dental Exam Needed
A routine dental exam examines the oral structure. The goal is to understand all aspects of a person’s dental health. During the routine dental exam, several steps are taken to ensure a full understanding of dental health. This generally includes:
- X-rays of all dental structures
- A visual exam of the gums, teeth, and soft tissues
- An oral cancer screening
- Inspection of any areas of decay or locations of infections
- Support for any questions that a person has
- Dental cleanings completed
The routine dental exam is a necessary step every six months to ensure oral health is maintained. Skipping it means that there could be a risk for complications later.
When There Is a Need for More Help After Dental Exams
Dental examinations sometimes bring up areas of concern. Sometimes the patient has underlying dental health needs that need addressing:
- Cosmetic Procedures: For those interested in cosmetic procedures such as teeth whitening or veneers, the dentist needs to perform a dental exam that looks at all mouth structures to ensure the teeth are healthy enough for the process. This is a good time to ask about the results and expectations for these procedures.
- Tooth Decay: When there is evidence of tooth decay, dentists may recommend additional procedures such as fluoride treatments to help improve them. In some cases, tooth extractions are necessary to remove the damaged teeth to allow proper healing.
- Cavities: If cavities are present during a dental examination, your dentist will offer options. This may include a root canal to clean them out, sealants to protect the teeth, and ongoing, frequent visits to keep damage at bay.
- Gum Disease: For those struggling with gum disease, such as gingivitis or periodontal disease, another dental exam may be necessary to determine if a deep cleaning may help. There are other treatment options available that may be helpful.
What You Can Do During a Dental Examination
During a dental exam, the patient has the ability to engage in treatment to meet his or her needs. There are a few things that are important for you to do during this process.
- Inquire about dental health and look for tips on improving dental hygiene
- Discuss the need for cosmetic procedures you are interested in
- Ask about restorative dentistry for problems such as gaps or denture needs
- Discuss preventative dentistry services that may help keep your teeth healthy longer, such as sealants and fluoride treatments
- Determine if you need any other procedures to improve your dental health
A dental exam is an opportunity to ensure you are as healthy as can be. Just like a doctor’s appointment, make sure to ask about any pain or discomfort you have. Look for ways to improve your dental health.
Book a Dental Examination by Calling Lovett Dental Corpus Christi Now
From a routine dental exam to a special dental exam for dentures, our team at Lovett Dental Corpus Christi is available to help. With comprehensive support for most dental needs, booking dental exams is an easy process that offers many rewards. To get the help needed in our Texas office, give us a call at 361-986-1117 or connect with our team online.