Even though you brush and floss daily, you may have questions about your oral health. One question many people wonder about is how to prevent tooth decay. There are some simple factors causing tooth decay and direct actions you can take with your dentist’s guidance to avoid it. Lovett Dental Corpus Christi can provide general dentistry Corpus Christi TX adults and children need to maintain and build healthy smiles.
What Causes Tooth Decay?
The surface of your teeth is covered with enamel. This protective layer can get worn away by the buildup of plaque and tartar. When this happens, cavities develop. If left untreated, cavities allow bacteria to live and grow. The bacteria in cavities destroys not just the enamel of the tooth but its interior. Often, this results in infections and leads to tooth loss. Because acid from
How can you know if you are experiencing tooth decay? There are some common symptoms, such as:
- Spontaneous pain in a tooth without any apparent cause
- Sensitivity when eating or drinking
- Visible holes in your teeth
- Brown, black, or white stains or spots on a tooth
- Pain when you bite down
If you experience any of these symptoms, you need to schedule an appointment to see your dentist. You may even need emergency dental services. But it’s important not to panic. Your dentist will have numerous ways to treat you and heal your teeth.
How To Prevent Tooth Decay
There are some simple practices you can get into the habit of doing for tooth decay prevention. You already brush and floss twice a day. But visiting your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and oral examination or checking with them if you can use fluoride supplements. Fluoride treatments can not only strengthen your teeth’s enamel but also stop or reverse early tooth decay. As a naturally occurring mineral, fluoride treatment is how to prevent tooth decay naturally.
However, if tooth decay has progressed, fluoride may not be enough to address the issue. Fortunately, Lovett Dental Corpus Christi offers the right services, such as:
- Fillings–Typically, when you have a cavity, your dentist can remove the decayed area and insert a material preventing further decay.
- Root canal–When decay spreads to the pulp of your tooth (the interior), a root canal may be necessary. This involves removing the decayed pulp, cleaning the inside, inserting a temporary filling, and then attaching a permanent crown to cover the tooth.
- Extraction–Perhaps the most serious solution is removing the tooth altogether. When damage is too severe to repair, your dentist may pull your tooth. Fortunately, a bridge or implant can replace the tooth hiding the loss.
Lovett Dental Corpus Christi
Knowing how to prevent tooth decay is vital for good oral health. At Lovett Dental Corpus Christi, our friendly and experienced staff provides excellent dental treatment. Among our services are pediatric dentistry for child and adolescents, cosmetic dentistry to give your teeth a new look, and a variety of specialty dental services. Contact us today at 361.256.7896 to learn how we can help you have the smile you want.