Orthodontic braces can seem like a rite of passage for kids, but that’s not their purpose. Traditional braces, the kind fixed in place, can lead to a lifetime of beautiful smiles and healthy teeth. Consider some benefits of braces for kids.
Why Do Kids Need Braces?
Braces are orthodontic treatments able to fix alignment problems that can haunt kids in adulthood if left unchecked. Some common issues that require braces include:
- Gaps in teeth
- Open bites
- Deep bites
- Crooked teeth
Dental braces for kids straighten or move teeth. That change can improve how the teeth look and function. They can also fix problems that might lead to poor jaw alignment and oral health. Although adults can get braces, the best time to have them is when you are young because teeth and gums tend to be healthier.
How Do Dental Braces Work?
The roots of teeth sit snuggly in the jaw. The jawbone supports the root, and the root supports the top of the tooth. Braces put pressure on the teeth, forcing them to move in the jaw.
As the teeth move, the bone in the jaw opens up where the tooth’s root was, and new bone grows to close that hole. This is bone remodeling. With the fresh bone in place, the tooth stays in its new location.
With each adjustment to the pediatric braces, the teeth move more until they are in the right place. After the braces come off, the patient wears a retainer to keep the new alignment secure.
What Are the Benefits of Braces for Kids?
Although the ultimate goal for most pediatric braces is to align teeth, there are other benefits.
- Braces Can Make It Easier to Chew Food: Chances are that if your child needs braces, they struggle to eat some foods. Poorly aligned teeth can cause jaw pain from chewing and muscle stiffness too. Since braces fix alignment issues, it will be easier to enjoy eating when they come off.
- Braces Can Improve Speech: Whistling, lisping, mumbling — these are all speech issues that may go away with proper dental alignment. Often these issues occur because teeth don’t fit right in the mouth or there are gaps between teeth.
- Braces Can Improve Self-Confidence: Having a beautiful smile is a real confidence builder. Dental problems like crooked teeth, on the other hand, can make a child feel self-conscious. Straight, well-aligned teeth are also easier to care for, so your child will brush their teeth better. That can improve their mental and social health and focus more on school and fun.
Get Your Pediatric Braces at Lovett Dental Corpus Christi
Finding the right dentist can be daunting. But Lovett Dental Corpus Christi makes it easier. We’re a multidisciplinary practice that can offer services to the whole family. We provide six forms of specialty care, including:
- Pediatric — Dentistry for children
- Orthodontic — Correction of misalignments
- Periodontics — Treatment of the gums
- Maxillofacial surgery — Corrective or reconstructive surgery
- Endodontic — Treatment of dental pulp
These services are all in addition to our general dentistry services available to take care of more common problems and dental emergencies.
Lovett Dental Corpus Christi is the right place to go for dental checkups, professional dental cleanings, and cosmetic dentistry. We offer a wide range of dental services and accept both insurance and payment plans. You can come to us for everything from dental cleaning to high-end cosmetic corrections like implant-supported dentures.